The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pacing

      Today after countless days of staring at my map covered canvas, I decided to sit down in my chair. I note the importance of this as it seems that is what I do, avoid the chair, avoid the chair that is set up for writing, avoid the chair that is set up for painting, because if I avoid the chair I can avoid focusing my world down to creating. Sounds contradictory when I declare myself an artist and writer, but this is the truth. I spend a fair amount of time thinking about what I'll be painting as I scoot about my ten by fourteen foot room tidying it up, peeking at my canvas, just as I spend a fair amount of time thinking about my biography of Trina Schart Hyman, toting along the latest notes to add in to the Artist chapter. But it seems, when I am ready, I am ready. So today was one such day.
      I tugged my paint-splattered overalls down from the closet, threw on my checker-boarded-ugly-as-sin shirt I purchased once at a thrift store, dug around for my crocheted christmas colored hat and sat down in the chair to address the canvas. Addressing a canvas involves patience. I have countless people mention my need to be patient with myself--a flaw I have not successfully avoided, my canvas doesn't escape this either. I toss paint around thrilled to mix a color here, a color there, smell the oil paint on my brush, rub it into my overalls, rub it into the painting, but above all, I am not inclined to be patient enough to measure and take my time with whatever it is I am painting. Consequently, after my map was throughly covered in skin color, I had to go back and patiently remeasure everything so that my face no longer looked like a squished hot dog but rather a human face in profile. 
    Patience. 
    Paint.
    I should have been Jackson Pollock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home