The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Definitions

     As I go about applying for various jobs I am tickled with the idea of definitions. What is one who enjoys creating art? What is the value of segregating the various "areas" of art? I am one who likes to illustrate, but just as easily I like to have a big blank canvas in front of me and in lieu of my time at art school, the digital world of graphic design is fun and intriguing to me. But there are crafts like beading, sculpy beads, seed beads, quilting, embroidering... right alongside of ceramic sculpting and charcoal sketching. I like making cards for special people and occasions, I like putting together neat layouts to make a text look that much flashier. I like them all. So then one might ask, "What type of art is it that you do?" And I would be inclined to say all art (save metal smithing because I genuinely did not enjoy that course). Yet "all art" sounds so general.   So, what type of art do I do?
     I am an artist connoisseur. I specialize in a range of art mediums and styles. I am an artisan. My mind works in color and spacial recognition. I cannot help but to think as an artist of all sorts. I am a Jane-of-all-arts. I am attracted to working in many areas of the arts.
     Perhaps instead of searching for a noun, I should be looking for an adjective coupled with a noun...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about....
artist extraordinaire

April 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home