The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Arrival

So I have arrived and after a night of sleeping on the floor surrounded by my things, I decided it was time to start unpacking. I am now able to see some carpet. I do however, live with two cats at present and find myself tucked quietly into my room with the door closed (feeling rather unwelcoming), sneezing here and there, but it makes for this space feeling very mine. The cats by the way, are very friendly. Well, one is scared of me, and the other, if given the opportunity would roll on it's back and glorify in my petting it's stomach, so I do feel as though in part I am hurting it's feelings by never petting it. I tell it nice things though like, "Good morning Cat." It's name is cat, so I am not being cold in calling it such.

So returning to a familiar landscape has been a weird experience for the mind, however, many old friends have been excited at the prospect of me returning to the fine state of Ohio. I have been gone for just about a year and a half doing my own healing in the area of my childhood. When I was contemplating returning a friend gave me a Spook feather to ward off the spooks that linger here, and while it first blew out the window two days before I moved, I found it again tucked in the back seat of my car while packing. I felt it was a positive omen and one I watched and tucked back in to my visor for the ride out. I wanted to do a ceremony of sorts with it, however, the one who would know how to do that, is out of commission for awhile so it was returned to her and maybe will serve her well till she gets better. In the meantime, I find the experience of being here strangely odd. I often find my brain scrambled as to where I am, who I ought to recognize and compartmentalize to New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Ohio. Traces of young Molly flit through my memory and I have that distinct feeling of returning as a grown up rather than my adolescent/pre/post college student. This feels positive for me because after a year and a half of growing in the harder ways, I feel renewed and the landscape has not altered this feeling.

For now I am setting up shop in a great old house with deep stained wood floors in an older area of Cincinnati. I have a good pal living in the basement and two other girls on the same floor as myself. I am here till I make the great move to my own place, but felt very warm as the whole family piled down the stairs for hugs and hellos on move-in day. This family, the "landlady" and crew, is one from old days, that reminds me much of my own family and often I would drop in last minute on them, and they welcomed the surprise.

As I have left the land of four aunts, sixteen cousins, an uncle and grandparents, (and my own parents) I find it is a bit of an adjustment not to have the bloodline family around. However, my friend in California once said, "Molly, when you move away from your family, you just have to find the people who will become your family wherever you land." And as I will be here for awhile and my only bloodline is about 8 hours away, this is a good lesson to put into practice. Although, if all goes according to plan, I will add to my family with a labrador next month and that will make two of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home