The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Meadow Poetry



So yesterday, because I knew I was getting too stressed out, I purposefully blocked the day out to do a bunch of work in the morning, then paint in the evening. This painting is one I am doing for a friend of mine who got married well over six months ago but I am a bit behind on the actual present delivery. No surprise... I get behind of lots of lofty things I set my mind to, plus I'm quite particular when it comes to making a painting deliberately for someone... it has to feel right for that person. Anyways, this painting is called "Meadow Poetry II" because any of you who follow my work may see some familiarities from a previous painting I did, also known as Meadow Poetry. The original was done in watercolor and had my portrait drawn in charcoal with the hair spilling down over it. I'll see if I can find it to post alongside this new one. Primarily, I am using the same color scheme and dimensions but trying to resolve some flatness that was occurring in the first as well as changing the meaning of the painting more or less. The reason I am posting this painting is because last night I was working on the hands and every now and then I do something that I just nail and am so tickled pink I just can't help looking at it. In this case, it's the fingers on the bottom hand. I felt like, "Hot damn Moll, you nailed those." They just seem to have substance. They read as hands. And then I think about how I was teaching a friend of mine how to paint and we had been talking a lot about planes and how every form can be seen geometrically, fingers being no exception. So, here, in the fingers, you see a sense of depth created as I used different shades to demonstrate the different planes of a finger. A finger has four planes, and to describe it I literally just thought about that as I dropped in my value and color. Now, the hands overall need some serious contrast attention but the oil is to wet to attend to that at present, and truthfully, that's no surprise to me as I know that is my weakness, but I just felt it was important to share with my blog readers my prideful moment of getting something on the dot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home