The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lake Winnipesaukee

This morning I sat with my toes curled in the sand watching the water rock to and fro to and fro, water that I have known as a seven-year-old and water I return to as an adult. I recall watching this water memories of standing up to my hips being told to, "Talk to the fishies, listen to the fishies," while my tiny frame shivered in the chilly morning water. Thoughts of a lifeguard fishing me out because I was too tired to pass the two laps around the docks requirement that would get me out of those early morning swim lessons also drift through my mind as I think about how I swam half way around the island the day before. Mountains and tall pines surround the Jolly Island for which I am visiting, and I wondered if my younger self appreciated the mountain view, the atmospheric perspective that my adult self so admired.
My friend's family, with whom I was staying, have a saying that your life will never be the same once you've slept on an island. This island is the third island shy only to Hermit Island in Maine and Key West for which I've stayed overnight, though it is the only island for which I have slept over that required a boat to reach rather than the passage of car over bridge. While I felt the calm and relaxation that comes with resting on Jolly Island, I also enjoy the time I get to reconnect with water from long ago... summer camp memories, failing to learn how to swim memories (I since went on to go to Nationals in swimming and played four years of college water polo), meals in the dinning hall, jumping onto a balloon filled with air that floated on the surface of the lake (fully equipped with a life vest), camp fires and Mum in the Loon (sick ward) just in case I got homesick (she was a nurse). Oh the impact of a night on an island.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home