The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Reality show

I use to be an avid summer fan of ER. After a 7 AM swim practice I'd come home, veg on the couch and watch reruns till noon at which point my body rebooted it's tired self and on with it's day. So I knew Abby, I knew Noah Wiley and was wrapped up in the drama that never sequenced properly on TNT Summer, but I was enraptured all the same. This being said, I recently had to go in for a minor surgery. Minor because it was a "Hey we're going to knock you out and give you a bracelet but we won't let you spend the night." kind of deal.
So in I go, too preoccupied with other life things to really stress about this being my first surgery past wisdom teeth that I would remember. I pass through the waiting room it and suddenly my little trip transported me right into the set and scene from ER. Now I use to dream of being on X-Files, helping out Mulder & Scully... ER?...Not so much. But there I was and on goes the action.
To be properly dressed in character, Nurse Janet tells me about my cool new outfit, complete with tight socks and booties, then we're on to the rooms you always see the nurses hanging by where there's a movable curtain and a bed on wheels (formally known as stretchers). I can hear the guy next to me who's saying he's a regular short-stay surgery guy. Better than on TV where you hear your curtain mate screaming in pain, right? I settle in for my role, letting them ask me twenty questions, hook me up, stick things to me, and then the real action.
IV is in, dangling above my head, I'm suppose to be lying down, there's a nurse at my feet and the anesthesiologist at my head and they're wheeling me down those classic white hallways... "Hop over onto this stretcher Molly," they say, and then poof, I'm in recovery asking the nurse, "And what's your name again? And do you like your job?" Shake, shake, as I wake. I'm not sure my career questionnaire would be in the script of ER but apparently as I quest for careers, it made it in my episode script. Oh but for life experiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home