The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Orion

Name choosing. Native Americans wait for an appropriate moment to determine a child's name. Parents flip through books. Writers dig through their memory. "If you choose a name, the dog that fits that name will come to you," a friend once said. I thought about it for awhile and landed on Orion. Orion, the hunter of the night sky, the three stars in a line that I could spot no matter where I was geographically, or spiritually. I have fond memories of feeling grounded as my breath curled in smoke up into the night sky as I walked in from my car, or standing on the front porch on my way to the bus stop. In San Francisco, in New Hampshire, Indiana, Connecticut, Ireland, Scotland, Ohio.. three stripes across the night sky. "Hello Orion," I would say up to the night sky. My older sister has a sequence of three diagonal freckles across her face and I use to call them her Orion's belt--whether or not she appreciated this is unknown, but since we didn't appreciate ourselves at all during much of our lives, I would assume not.

So Orion it has been for my unknown puppy. I looked through newspaper ads, rescue sights, breeders you name it. As noted from the previous post I have found my Orion pup. "Choose the name..." and Orion, son of a lovely white lab named Skye, is aptly chosen. I smiled thinking of his mother's name. Then I began researching the story of Orion--the Greek myths, and was amused to discover his connection to Greek mythology when his father's name is Achilles--another Greek figure.

Things happen for a reason. I think this is going to be a great adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home