The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The day for art


Since I accomplished all of my errands, household chores etc. yesterday, I had the majority of the day all my own for some intensive art time. I started off the day with a wonderful conversation with Will Hillenbrand over breakfast, and as my followers know Will is my illustration mentor. The past two visits with Will, while talking shop, I've gone home with much on my mind in the way of improvement, new things to try etc. My focus since July was first to get a job out here, thus the 50 job applications for teaching, then Apple; then I have been very focused on self development, continued work on things to be the best person I can be for myself. Needless to say, doing these things has created a lack of focus from the more traditional, Trina, illustration, McL Design. I go on and off about whether this is a problem for me. On one hand, taking care of myself trumps all, and sometimes that sucks all my energy so I do what I can for fine art painting or outings. However, I am also aware of many of the gifts this area provides when it comes to fostering my love for children's literature and I would like to take advantage of that, silence the hitch hikers, exorcise the ghosts from art school, and make a focused stab at the area that has always peaked my interest like no other. So here I am with my mentor kindly offering to mentor me, gives me things to think about, and challenges me to work, however, not in a pushy way. I don't feel any need to do or disappoint. Will does a great job at just saying, hey, I'm here and happy to help if you'd like. It's refreshing. And I never leave talking with Will feeling like I am failing at this interest because I am not 100% devoted to it; I leave feeling more tickled by the prospect of engaging in that world again.

So, with that stated, instead of escaping to the fine art world of my oil paintings, I spent the day working on my alphabet. I had intentions to do more, however, this did take most of my time. By the time I had the sketch complete, value studies figured out, found some tracing paper and did the reverse with pencil on the block, it took probably three to four hours to carve. I am thrilled with the outcome though, as you will see attached. I intend to hand paint it, and use this for new born's bedrooms, an alphabet poster, and an alphabet book (hopefully). If nothing else, just a consistent body of work for my portfolio that demonstrates animals. It's going to take a while though with this one taking the better part of a day and only being one letter. But I am excited and happy with the outcome which is always a nice feeling after a long day at work. People would have laughed if they saw me though because the nature of this project is to carve on a flat surface, so for awhile I was hunched as my stool has me upright for painting on an easel. So I turned my stool on its side and put a pillow down so the block was only an inch or so from my chin. Worked great. Saved my spine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home