The Musings of Molly

A blog primarily chronicling the artistic and writerly endeavors of a girl who moves with the change in wind patterns, and is always trying to puzzle out, and explore the life given.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Symbolism

Looking down at my ankle this morning, while writing my morning pages I noticed the fine thread that had held one anklet had finally broken. I have been home, quiet and calm with the solitude of my dog, while my family is out thousands of miles away burying my grandma, or across the pond in Italy. Chloe and I spent time outdoors admiring the gifts of the season, the vibrant colors reflecting off the still water and then it was back to the warmth of the house, curling on the couch to spend time with a journal, spending time with the silent tv, the silent radio, the silence in general.
So this morning as I noticed the anklet gone I felt a sense of surprise that it had disappeared without my knowledge as it was meant to do (though it was on yesterday). The anklet was picked up sometime in the previous winter season, with it's seven beads that upon falling off meant I would be at peace. As a kid I had one for happiness, one for luck, all of which too succeeded in their "magical" task, worn till they lay frayed and itchy on my ankle, beads hanging by a string. I amused myself with purchasing this simple anklet and skipping over the "Love" "Luck" "Friendship" colors, figuring, like the lottery, half the fun was thinking about the outcome :)
So there we have it. I am at peace. I smile as I write this because of a conversation with my mom. "Ma, I feel very calm lately. Very much at peace but I have to wait for my anklet to confirm this isn't just a wave." Poking her head out from the kitchen, hands covered in pie dough flour she said, "Molly, I could have told you that you were without you waiting on your anklet." "Yeah but Mom, it's the POINT that it symbolizes." "Okay Mol," she said stretching out the ohhh kay before continuing back to the rolling pin.
So beats me where it is as I cleaned my room, changed sheets etc. this morning but I felt it was noteworthy that it has in fact disappeared.
Beyond that I have started sketches for two new paintings. Dad comes home with my camera in four days and I can start posting again some of the images I have been working on. One of the sketches has me leaning to do a long watercolor and ink piece. I have been having such fun with oil that should be a nice change or challenge for me. The other painting is one where I am trying to capture a set emotion, perhaps for a wedding gift for a friend of mine, or perhaps as an experiment for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home